Google
 

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Who Moved My Cheese, again.

I first read this story a few years back when I just left my full time job at a financial institution. Thereafter, I went on setting up my own business, which failed eventually. Further attempts met with the same fate till recently, I came across the same story, again, in which I hope to trigger new inspiration.

I remembered while reading the story years back, I was sneering at the attitude and behaviour of the two little humans and their refusal to move on when their beloved cheese was gone. However, it always seems a lot easier when you are looking over the maze rather than scurrying in it. I told myself, it was the mice who moved on and got the cheese, so must I!

There and then, I drew up my business plans, sought help from my family and friends, started my first establishment - a small one-man-operated tuition agency. Initially, I was full of drive and optimism. However, I soon realized sniffing and scurrying for cheese out in the maze-like world was not as simple as I thought it would be. The money did not find me just like the cheese not finding the two little whiny humans. Business did not come knocking on my door.

Soon, I could no longer sustain my expenses and financial commitments. I started using up my savings bit by bit. I understand perfectly well that the reserves will be depleted and soon I may find myself in a dire financial position. Anxiety and fear started to kick in. I looked at myself, jobless, clueless, moneyless…

Ok, a change of plan, then another plan and another, in fact the plans kept changing before they were executed. Until the day I thought to myself, perhaps, I should just call it quits and get a job, resign to slogging my whole life away like many of those out there. This was the moment when I realized I had become one of the whiny little humans!

Thus, I picked myself up, drew up new business plans, exploring different business opportunities, consolidating whatever financial resources I am left with, hopefully I get my numbers right this time! I believe if the cheese kept moving, we have to move along to find new cheese. Despite the fear of repeating mistakes of the past, the uncertainties that lies in the arduous and daunting journey ahead, I will brave the twisting and turning maze till I find my cheese!


“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
- Confucius

No comments: